so i went to bible study last night. my friend Andrea asked me if i'd be down to go, didn't tell me much about that crowd that i'd be joining, but i was certain that this couldn't possibly be as crazy as some of our best adventures, so i figured why not. (pardon my run-on sentences. there will be hundreds more). plus, i can't even remember when the last time was that i hung out with god in a group setting, so it didn't take much convincing. around 8pm on this cool, tuesday evening, i called an uber and headed to the grove. my driver dropped me off at the front of the apartment complex so if you know anything about me ...LOST. obviously I'm lost. why wouldn't i be lost. i walked around trying to find the proper apartment number, only to realize that he dropped me off to the wrong location. -i rated him immediately. after a few unsuccessful calls and several confusing texts, i arrived at the right spot -frustrated- and ready to say 8 curse words in a row that didn't even make sense. i quickly remembered that i was there to talk about god though, so that attitude went out the window.
we all gathered around the living room table, ate chips, guac and salsa (there was ice there as well, whoop!) and we opened with prayer. the theme of the discussion was MOVEMENT.
movement: mo͞ovmənt (n) an act of changing physical location or position or of having this changed. a change or development in something.
we talked about progressive and backwards movement, rejection, failure, alignment, unrealistic beauty standards, faith, community and most of all, trusting the process. i've only been in LA for 2 weeks and having god align me with a group of young artists with a lot of the same goals has me feeling extremely grateful. the energy was amazing, everyone was so encouraging. everyone listened openly to each other. and the testimonies? bruh. i'm really writing this post so that i can share with you all some of the tidbits that i grabbed on the idea of movement, just in case you need it.
- if you don't have a passport, you're rebellious -you have no idea where you're supposed to end up and god doesn't always make his plans known far in advance. if you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
- movement should be something that births fruit
- faith is required for movement. faith bridges the gap from where you are to where to want to be.
- the more you stretch, the farther you can go. god stretches us like a rubber band. if you trust him, you will not break.
- faith cannot co-exist with fear
- you cannot move forward without the right shoes: SACRIFICE, HOLINESS, OBEDIENCE, EXCELLENCE, & SUBMISSION
- without holiness, god cannot trust you with a platform
- sacrifice never feels good
we discussed tons more (bible study lasted for 2 legit hours), but enjoy that for now. hopefully i'll be able to share more with you next week. being an artist isn't easy. there's no cheat code. there's no blue print. as an individual artist trying to make it, especially upon moving to a new city, this junk is hard! it's so important to surround yourself with a group of people with nice energy, delicious vibes and forward moving spirits.